Tuesday, December 14, 2010

From the Fine Print....Comments on WikiLeaks and Assange

[XE says: These comments come from an astute reader who is also one of the bright lights at DemocracyforCalifornia. They are too good to let sit on the shelves. All emphasis is mine.]

The first is about Wikileaks and also about Assange's so-called "rape" charge.  The second is on an article in the Guardian.  Both were sent in reply to other comments on "Best Reads on Wikileaks"
#1:  I appreciate your concerns about the future of diplomacy, but I don't think any particular harm, other than embarrassment, is being done with the publication of these cables. Diplomats will continue to do their work with the U.S., not because they like us, but because it is in the best interest of their country to do so. They might not be able to use digital pipelines of communication, as they have, but I for one think there is some poetic justice in that. If nations operate with an old-century mindset, then they can go back to using old-century tools. The Internet is for freedom of information. It belongs to all citizens of the world.

As far as the "rape" charges against Julian Assange. Keep in mind, there have been no charges. In fact, I read somewhere that the reason for this is that there are no actual laws on the books in Sweden concerning "not using a condom," but that they had intended to write some laws. Perhaps that explains why Swedish prosecutors have been going back and forth on the issue. Basically, he's been called in for "questioning" since they don't actually have a law to charge him with. But there are concerns that Sweden (which is known to have worked with the CIA on extraordinary renditions) could extradite Julian to the U.S., and that would be very bad for him. I guess we'll know tomorrow (Tuesday) if Great Britain will extradite him to Sweden for "questioning."

I would not venture an opinion about the two women who made these charges. I don't know how legitimate they are. It's possible, Julian has a weakness with women, perhaps he's been a geek too long, and is easily seduced? Or perhaps the charges are bogus? I don't know, I don't think anybody else does at this point. But isn't the timing a tad too coincidental?

Regardless, whatever Assange did or did not do, it does not alter my opinion of the importance of wikileaks.
#2:  An interesting article from the Guardian...

WikiLeaks may make the powerful howl, but we are learning the truth

WikiLeaks has offered us glimpses of how the world works. And in most cases nothing but good can come of it

Here's a snippet:

The world has changed, not simply because governments find they are just as vulnerable to the acquisition, copying and distribution of huge amounts of data as the music, publishing and film businesses were, but because we are unlikely to return to the happy ignorance of the past. Knowing Saudi Arabia has urged the bombing of Iran, that Shell maintains an iron grip on the government of Nigeria, that Pfizer hired investigators to disrupt investigations into drugs trials on children, also in Nigeria, that the Pakistan intelligence service, the ISI, is swinging both ways on the Taliban, that China launched a cyber attack on Google, that North Korean has provided nuclear scientists to Burma, that Russia is a virtual mafia state in which security services and gangsters are joined at the hip – and knowing all this in some detail – means we are far more likely to treat the accounts of events we are given in the future with much greater scepticism.

Never mind the self-serving politicians who waffle on about the need for diplomatic confidentiality when they themselves order the bugging of diplomats and hacking of diplomatic communications. What is astonishing is the number of journalists out there who argue that it is better not to know these things, that the world is safer if the public is kept in ignorance. In their swooning infatuation with practically any power elite that comes to hand, some writers for the Murdoch press and Telegraph titles argue in essence for the Chinese or Russian models of deceit and obscurantism. They advocate the continued infantilising of the public.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know M.E., you are so much like me :)

    When I read interesting comments I feel I want to gather them up like pearls and post them to my blog for everyone to read. In fact, I read so many comments on so many blogs that I hardly have the time to do any blogging myself. I even read comments on petitions, like this one for wikileaks. lol

    http://www.gopetition.com/petition/38165/signatures.html

    The Internet really satisfies my curiosity about what people think on any particular subject.

    And as we are on the subject of wikileaks, here's a funny take on the "rape" charges against Assange by Naomi Klein (linked to by a member in the shoutbox of my board):

    Julian Assange Captured by World's Dating Police

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi-wolf/interpol-the-worlds-datin_b_793033.html?ref=fb&src=sp

    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay: Yes, VERY interesting. How's the weather up there? Horble here, and the land lady keeps trying to sneak the thermostat setting downward...It's below 60 now. Ye gods!

    Diana: Thanks! My dog is wondering just when I'll go to bed and stop trying to put my feet on the footstool! She feels it's hers now that she's taken it over for her bed. Guess I'll have to save Naomi Klein's article for tomorrow. Have to go climb under the covers and keep reading that huge book on the Family of Secrets. Boy, if THIS topic isn't ringing bells as I read about the CIA and the Bush monkey bidness!!! Stay warm...though you probably are on the left coast. It's cooooold here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem M.E. There's always a glitch somewhere ;)

    Thank you for doing me the honor of reposting.

    Meanwhile, I've found some information on one of the women in the Assange "rape" saga. I mean, what would the wikileaks story be without a little sexual intrigue, (and how it might reflect some things, as yet unknown, and yet experienced as far back as the ancients, about human behavior).

    Anna Ardin's (Wikileaks False Accuser) Revenge Manifesto

    http://www.crimeandfederalism.com/2...-manifesto.html

    Anna Ardin: Wikileaks Julian Assange's Rape Accuser

    http://sports.rightpundits.com/?p=5578

    Meet Wikileaks Founder's Alleged Sex Victim

    http://gawker.com/5619931/meet-wiki...eged-sex-victim

    WikiLeaks accuser linked to Cuban dissident community

    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...0,4092013.story

    WikiLeaks: Where in the World Is 'Miss A'?

    http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/10/w...orld-is-miss-a/

    Anna Ardin Leaves Sweden? Woman Linked to Assange Case Not Cooperating?

    http://www.thirdage.com/news/anna-a...ting_12-10-2010

    and, once again, the satirical blog from the feminist, Naomi Wolf:

    Julian Assange Captured by World's Dating Police

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi...l?ref=fb&src=sp

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm... let's see if this works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUCCESS!!!!

    You fixed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://svt.se/2.147687/1.2265043/wikirebels_-_the_documentary?page147687=1

    This is from SVT (the Swedish version of NPR)--a recent documentary on Wikileaks and its founders. You can watch the whole documentary in Swedish, but this is in English.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great find. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As for Murdoch and their version of news.....yuk!

    I'm looking forward to Wikileak's release of the bank documents.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.