Darlene's post on Facebook this morning said "Frank Rich Says It All for Me." So I hopped to the NYT and read his column. But whoa! When I clicked the little FB symbol to post this on my FB page, I was greeted with the following request to allow the New York Times to:
Access my basic information
Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone.
Send me email
The New York Times may email me directly at XXXXXXX ·
Post to my Wall
The New York Times may post status messages, notes, photos, and videos to my Wall
Access posts in my News Feed
Access my data any time
The New York Times may access my data when I'm not using the application
Access my friend lists
Access my profile information
Likes, Music, TV, Movies, Books, Quotes, About Me, Interests, Groups, Birthday, Education History and Work History
Access my contact information
Hometown, Current City and Website
FB wants me to give access to all of this PRIVATE information to the NYT in exchange for reprinting a column I like? Um, no thanks!
This is new. I haven't got this particular page before when I linked to a NYT article on my FB page. No more spontaneous attemps to promote Times columns (precious few, btw) that make sense to me. Those days are over.
How about some haunting music for the background?
"Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day....lalalalalala......" Mary Hopkins made this song popular in my relative youth, but before that it was a Russian folk song. Remember?
Sorry, I had no idea that you had to go through that garbage from Face Book. I just get the NYT in my e=mail and you don't have to do anything except make up a password. After that, it's just automatic. Unless you want to comment, print or forward an article you don't even need the password.
haw....i see what you're saying, and i DO subscribe to the NYT online insofar as i can read their all their stuff, but in the past, I could just read an article and then click the FB symbol if I wanted to post it on my FB wall. NO MORE. i have to turn over all my FB info now. sigh....i'll go back to copy and paste, etc.
this also may be true for all the other outlets i occasionally post on FB. will have to ck and see. the thing is, all this info is on FB now, but they're asking me to share it with lots of other organizations--ipso fatso, as archie bunker would say.
You and Darlene are smarter than I. I can't figure facebook out, and people I never heard of keep wanting to be my friends, so I hardly ever look at it.
As for the NY Times, we buy the paper edition (along with a latte) whenever we go to town. That's enough, and I like to hold a newspaper in my hand. I suppose soon it won't be possible any more.
This doesn't surprise me. I hate Facebook. I have no use for anything that wants to be privy to my life. And I'll be posting a new rant on that soon. Until Mark Zuckerberg wants to pay me to work for him, he can rot in hell because that's exactly what it's about.
Cat: are you calling the NYT a family-values, LIBERAL newspaper? omg. it's facebook that's behind this, but the Times is in there pitching, too. a plague on both their houses!!
Darlene (and all): ugh...fixed, and so is the complaint clarified. FB (doubtless in cahoots with the NYT) is the outfit requesting that I allow the NYT to have access to all that private (or so I thought) FB info in exchange for posting a Times article on FB. Or however it goes. Sometimes I get so rattled by what's going on in the whole internet/technology/privacy gig that I don't slow down to think before posting. double ugh. mea culpa...
Darlene: a friend reminded me that she DIDN'T SEE it as "Reed"...and that it took three or four days before anyone (you, who first brought the article to my attention) said anything about it at all. she said we're all missing a cylinder or two now that we're getting LOTS older. :)
Yeah, think people haven't realized all this "free" stuff on the Internet hasn't been free at all. Info about each is being quietly collected, our dependency on their offering subtly created, since the bottom line is they have to figure out how to make money and more money from the Internet and our usage.
As for Facebook, I've strictly limited the info I put on there, and have deliberately limited my use to classmates, family and we all keep discussion casual. Anything else we use other more private means. This isn't what they want members to do, I'm sure.
Joared: My young(er) relatives keep me going back to FB even though I quit once in a while. You are entirely right that these social networks are addicting, and that none of this is "free." Still, they've gotten pretty bold, now thatwould there's even more money in the wind. I often wonder what my grandparents think of all this. Only one of them was still alive by the time I came along.
Sorry, I had no idea that you had to go through that garbage from Face Book. I just get the NYT in my e=mail and you don't have to do anything except make up a password. After that, it's just automatic. Unless you want to comment, print or forward an article you don't even need the password.
ReplyDeletehaw....i see what you're saying, and i DO subscribe to the NYT online insofar as i can read their all their stuff, but in the past, I could just read an article and then click the FB symbol if I wanted to post it on my FB wall. NO MORE. i have to turn over all my FB info now. sigh....i'll go back to copy and paste, etc.
ReplyDeletethis also may be true for all the other outlets i occasionally post on FB. will have to ck and see. the thing is, all this info is on FB now, but they're asking me to share it with lots of other organizations--ipso fatso, as archie bunker would say.
You and Darlene are smarter than I. I can't figure facebook out, and people I never heard of keep wanting to be my friends, so I hardly ever look at it.
ReplyDeleteAs for the NY Times, we buy the paper edition (along with a latte) whenever we go to town. That's enough, and I like to hold a newspaper in my hand. I suppose soon it won't be possible any more.
This doesn't surprise me. I hate Facebook. I have no use for anything that wants to be privy to my life. And I'll be posting a new rant on that soon. Until Mark Zuckerberg wants to pay me to work for him, he can rot in hell because that's exactly what it's about.
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely scary! I am a bit in shock that a so-called family values (i.e. liberal) newspaper would make such intrusive request. Horrifying.
ReplyDeleteCat
Cat: are you calling the NYT a family-values, LIBERAL newspaper? omg. it's facebook that's behind this, but the Times is in there pitching, too. a plague on both their houses!!
ReplyDeleteI just re-red your post and the op-ed piece was by Frank Rich (not Reed)
ReplyDeleteDarlene (and all): ugh...fixed, and so is the complaint clarified. FB (doubtless in cahoots with the NYT) is the outfit requesting that I allow the NYT to have access to all that private (or so I thought) FB info in exchange for posting a Times article on FB. Or however it goes. Sometimes I get so rattled by what's going on in the whole internet/technology/privacy gig that I don't slow down to think before posting. double ugh. mea culpa...
ReplyDeleteDarlene: a friend reminded me that she DIDN'T SEE it as "Reed"...and that it took three or four days before anyone (you, who first brought the article to my attention) said anything about it at all. she said we're all missing a cylinder or two now that we're getting LOTS older. :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know about anyone else, but I am not only missing a cylinder or two but the remaining ones are getting very rusty. ~:-(
ReplyDeleteYeah, think people haven't realized all this "free" stuff on the Internet hasn't been free at all. Info about each is being quietly collected, our dependency on their offering subtly created, since the bottom line is they have to figure out how to make money and more money from the Internet and our usage.
ReplyDeleteAs for Facebook, I've strictly limited the info I put on there, and have deliberately limited my use to classmates, family and we all keep discussion casual. Anything else we use other more private means. This isn't what they want members to do, I'm sure.
Joared: My young(er) relatives keep me going back to FB even though I quit once in a while. You are entirely right that these social networks are addicting, and that none of this is "free." Still, they've gotten pretty bold, now thatwould there's even more money in the wind. I often wonder what my grandparents think of all this. Only one of them was still alive by the time I came along.
ReplyDelete"now that there's....." no "thatwould" argh.
ReplyDelete