Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I hate moving...

...But here i am, doing it again. This is my fate. I have finally wound up entirely alone in a new town--again. I'm tired, and I'm not even one-tenth ready for the movers tomorrow. Well, actually, that's today already. But enough....

Red Nose had a great post today/yesterday (!) in her Holidailies series. It has great photos and sensitive ruminations on her day. She starts out "It seems like nothing has been easy lately," and it hasn't. Her mother is in ill health, and she's been working hard at her job. But at the end, she says her husband smiled at her after work and made her a steak.

Nothing has been easy here lately, either. But believe me, nobody is making me any steaks. I did have a nice chopped salad tonight at the Chop House, though. And the waiter was a nice, friendly guy with a cute smile. God bless waiters everywhere. And God bless the mover guys who are gonna come tomorrow and load up my stuff. And God bless the lady who answers their phones and made sure I'm scheduled.

So, here's to new vistas. The new place has a humongous flat TV thing on the wall in the family room. I just may watch the damn thing if I can figure out how to work it. Or better yet, I may put an ad in the local webthing and see if anybody wants to ride bikes on the many cool paths in the area.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:00 AM

    You're leaving Washington? Did I miss something? Where are you going?
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're moving? What's happening and where are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. aargh...moving is such a pain. am feeling yours 'cause mine was so recent. but then there is afterwards when it's done. as long as you have your books, that eases things. here's hoping it's all you envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, Joared, Sherwood, &
    Naomi:

    I've moved to Maryland on the very edge of DC: a place called Mt Rainier (RAIN-ear if u r from these parts or runEAR if u were born in Nebraska): 8000 friendly artists, socialists, and hippies of a certain age, the famous GLUT Coop, and more people who use computers in their daily work than about 90% of the rest of the state. It is so quiet u can hear the birds sneeze in their nests. It also costs about half of what it does to live in DC, and while not ON the metro system, it's NEAR, especially if u take the bus or ride a bike. If I weren't so tired, I'd throw a party. I may yet esp when our dear coworker gets back from Nigeria. I was going to sell most of my books, but that's out. They're comin with me soon as I can move them over. Thanks for ur good wishes. I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathize with your pain. I hope to never have to move again. During my marriage I mover 22 or 23 times and I said the next move was going to be feet first. But then, I said that on the house before this one.

    There is no easy way to move. It's just hard work and I am sure I could no longer do it.

    Your new place sounds lovely, though. It should make it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Darlene...Moving IS horrible. how you got through 22 or 23 times (plus the last couple) is astonishing. What I hate most is waking up and not knowing WHERE i am. but that will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The moving part IS horrible, but the new town sounds like a perfect fit for you, M.E.! Best of luck with the move! Artists, socialists and hippies? Move aside and prepare to be taught how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glut co-op, oh I remember that from the 1970s. It was a trip. Oh, those days seem so idyllic now even tho there was another awful war. But we could be more hopeful. I blame the patriarchy once again.

    Glad you'll have your books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:22 PM

    Good for you, XE! Enjoy your "new" life!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:39 AM

    We're also moving by next month or February. Right now we're just hunting for a new place. We decided to move since I need a new place where it's conducive to my creativity. We are not moving out of the city, but on a different neighbourhood. Still it's a pain to move and I agree with your sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I had no idea you were planning a move, so I am wishing you good luck and have faith in the mover guys, they know what they are doing! (Usually).
    Enjoy your new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:42 PM

    Here comes the snow--to bless you in your new place. You have been so spunky and courageous.
    Hats off! And the new place is large, lovely, and (naturally very well) lighted.

    I'll be trekking out to see you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Forgot to sign off...that last was from me. Cat

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.