Wednesday, August 19, 2009

If you liked school, you'll LOVE work....

I'm still thinking on how my life has changed since retirement--the question put forth by Time Goes By last week. Once again, the whole idea has tossed me back to my childhood, when I more or less hated school for years. Many. Years. I didn't begin to like school AT ALL until my first year in college. I thought, "Where have they been hiding THIS??"

Anyway, why am I thinking about skool dayz? Well, one of the things you're supposed to do when you retire is keep your mind busy, and lots of retirees take classes. No problem. My mind is plenty busy--most of the time occupied with negative, discouraged, pissed-off thoughts about Republicans (not to mention my own Plains States' Congresspeople--Grassley and the so-called Blue Dogs Nelson, Baucus, and *gag* Conrad) and the outrageous crap they're pulling now.

I also think a lot about what I'm going to EAT next--or rather, what I want to cook. The current movie "Julie & Julia" has driven me to the bookstore and my laptop to look up recipes. And it's brought me a whole new favorite BREAKFAST FOOD: toast fried in oil & butter with chopped fresh tomatoes and basil chiffonade on top. OMG that's good! Not only does this keep my furnace stoked until mid-afternoon, but it makes me HAPPY for that long, too. Granted, in the movie this was one of Julie's creations that she seemed to come up with apart from Julia, but who cares?

Anyway anyway, school had its moments--I LOVED second grade, even though I made a hash of my first BIG assignment. The teacher asked me to do a book report on "Doctor Dolittle," so I got up early and MEMORIZED the book. About halfway into the second page or so, my classmates started groaning and complaining, so the teacher said "We just wanted a summary, M.E." "But there's lots more," I said, and started to continue. The teacher, Miss Elofson, held up her hands. "That's fine, M.E., you can stop now." "Yeah, gee...." said the other kids.

Work was kind of the same as skool: Long hours, bossy people, no room for creativity at all. I was very happy to retire. My sleep cycle recovered, I could wear what I doggone pleased, and I didn't HAVE TO do anything but what I wanted.

Everyone says this is all wrong, of course. You're supposed to DO THINGS. Significant, socially redeeming things. The questions started: "How is retirement? Are you going to travel? How are you spending your time? Any volunteering?" Etc. Etc. To me, the time to travel is when you've got a job and can pay for it! It's good to get away when there's lots you need to get away from. And I volunteered A LOT when I was younger and had a car and the stamina to do all of that.

Last week, I got an email from the University of Pennsylvania's (note to Ben: the University of Pencilvainya!!) College of Liberal and Professional Studies. They are offering a noncredit online course this fall called Foundations of Positive Psychology. It's about HAPPINESS and stuff like that. That sounds like something I could a) benefit from and b) possibly enjoy. So I signed up. I will have lectures and assignments to fill my thoughts in place of the sound track from Faux News Hell i've got going now.

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself, actually. I'm actually going to be DOING SOMETHING the AARP and that ilk recommend. It may cut into my bike riding and naps, but it'll fit perfectly with my visits to the WIFI watering holes. And get this...many of the assignments will be to BLOG something to share with the faculty, admin., and other students! Is this gonna be a piece of cake (mmm...yellow cake with chocolate icing and orange filling) or what?

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on doing something so creative with your retirement, I have ambitions in that direction but havent actually done anything about it yet,. However I seem to be always busy.... for instance today: painting the trim in the kitchen, getting ready for a community info evening tonight, then actually hosting a table at the info evening as I'm producer of the local variety show again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll not be surprised that your schoolish idea really appeals to me. we're already members of SSI, senior studies initiative or something like that, in Portland. went to a couple of "current events" meetings when there last winter. very engaging people, open (even though we are from that other east coast planet).

    doing stuff always good. thinking of you as days dwindle down to flight west--saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shammy and naomi:

    thanks...you guys are sooooo busy and productive, it's disgusting. but god makes all kinds. there have to be some loafers like me to make up your admiring audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. naomi: next saturday? not this one, surely. don't think i'm liking this much. new york's gonna feel a bit empty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Bread fried in oil and butter with tomatoes and basil on top.... um, isn't that "bruschetta" from the Italians? I admit it is addicting. In fact, we just had some with backyard tomatoes and basil - the best!! The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, it's bruschetta, all right. i'm sure that with your very own backyard tomatoes and basil, it's absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:55 AM

    Talking about school, I usually see retirees here going back to school to increase their knowledge even my partner told me that he had a classmate in the university who is over 70 years old.

    Regarding with the bruschetta, I love it as well. I try to find ways to incorporate some unusual ingredients when making one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CBR: the state of Maryland offers free tuition to retirees. maybe i should be looking for housing in MD instead of swanning around DC.

    what sort of unusual ingredients? i'd hate to screw this up, but that's an intriguing idea. any recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:05 PM

    That sounds nice. Here the universities are free and government funded.

    Well, I usually add cheese like mozzarella or feta cheese. Sometimes I have to sautee the topping which is a combo of garlic, onions, tomatoes with a bit of spices like curry, oregano and rosemary. Then a dash of salt, pepper and sugar.

    Topped it on the bread followed by your own choice of cheese and shove it in the oven with the temperature of 200 degrees celsius and leave it for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.