
The bus is dark now, even before 6 p.m. Here's the young driver arranging her beautiful braids before takeoff. The little sign above the window next to her toward the front of the bus says "Clever Devices." Indeed.
This photo was taken with the same french fry I used on Saturday aft in the bar on Clark St. I do have a better camera at home (NOT the really good one I lost last week), but I forgot to get batteries for it for the second day in a row. Anyway....
I love sitting in the dark bus waiting to for the driver to move out. And I love the young drivers, men and women, for their skill and patience and wry humor and gold jewelry and braids and safe driver patches on their sleeves.
My co-worker Peggy used to say that her youngest, Carl, a sweet-tempered Scandinavian 6-year-old, used to mourn because his blond hair was straight as spun flax and he could not wear it in braids with beads and other ornaments like his schoolmates.
Me, too, Carl.
You LOST your good camera! That's awful! In the meantime, I like the bus photo.
ReplyDeleteyup...gone with the wind. just don't know how that happened, but it did. put new batteries in t'other camera this ayem...still doesn't work. gonna go buy a new one over lunch. thanksgiving sales are still on....
ReplyDeleteI love buses too... especially at night. When I was in University and getting around by bus I used to sometimes take the long way home, just so I could sit and look out the bus window and listen to music on my walkman. It was a wonderful way to decompress after a tiring day.
ReplyDeleteNow that I'm in a new city it's probably time to check out the public transit system... Fredericton's is wholly useless, they cut service and then when ridership drops because the buses aren't available when needed, cut it again citing low ridership as an excuse (shakes head). I don't know if Moncton is any better but it's worth a check-out.
Hi there ExtrEng, good to see you back after your holiday from blogging. I've been on holiday too... a month in sunny Florida was just what I needed after the busy wedding, the onslaught of visitors from UK, and the horrible bad cold that lasted 3 weeks.
ReplyDeleteBack in the snows of Canada now. It's so cold, perhaps I should have stayed down south!
ronnie:
ReplyDeletei have always loved riding city buses, even in the dead of winter in minneapolis, where the buses run every half hour during RUSH HOUR, and if you missed one, you'd have to stand out there in the cold wind (not all the stops had shelters back then...if indeed they do now). very bracing!
ex-shammy:
welcome back! you seem to have timed your return to coincide with the ice and snow. but it's beautiful, non? stay warm and well! happy to have you back in the blogosphere!!!