Friday, September 28, 2007

Xtreme English Goes Knuts!!

[I had a long, interesting discussion with Cathy t'other day on whether a pun is a metaphor (she says yes; I say not really, and I do b'lieve I'm right--it's WORD PLAY). Thus, I could not resist making the pun in the title of this post--and wouldn't you know it, it appears the knitters in Dish and Wash Cloth Mania are crazy about punning!]

Anyway, the author of Xtreme English is doing her best to be relevant to her audience, which includes at least two or three very skilled knitters, weavers, and other fabric wranglers. Thus, she is adding a great, handy blog to her list of favorites: Dish and Wash Cloth Mania. The blog, discovered on Ideal Bite, Xtreme's favorite green blog (also among the favorites), is about how to knit your own dishcloths and washcloths!!. There's loads of patterns, too, but I haven't checked it all out yet.

Finally! a knitting blog even I can grasp, out of which I and others similarly disfunctional with knitting needles possibly make something!! I must say, however, that on further investigation, even this looks pretty hard (cf. the bee stitch...tsk...who thinks of these things??)

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:10 AM

    [throat clear] Title: where i jump into the fray.

    what is a fray? yeah, the noun is about conflict. but the verb gets us into threads, my territory. a handmade washcloth that once spoke to me was in a kitchen in portland, oregon. provenance is very important.

    yellow and blue cotton--so very engaging. i admired it so loudly that it now sits in my own kitchen in nyc. the technique used is double-crochet. only recently learned how to double-knit (use it for Condom Amulets).

    fray-wise, it is possible that Xtreme could learn from me how to knit a washcloth. that's what old ladies like me are 'sposed to do: pass along the wisdom to younger ones. so, m.e., to paraphrase, next time in the City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:47 PM

    i can hardly wait....but....crochet?? my mom taught me how to crochet when i was a kid and sick in bed for extended periods. basically, the technique she taught me produced one long fat string. even i know there's more to it than that....

    m.e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful stuff, I have knited a few dishcloths in my time but they are always too nice to use so I buy J-cloths anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:25 PM

    Hey Thanks for mentioning that website re making wash cloths; I have been looking for one of those. I added it to my favorites! Thanks again! I can remember as a little girl going to my uncles house and looking for eggs in the hen house. I loved it! Haven't had a chance to do that since!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:38 AM

    This is uncanny. Lately I was remembering 3 dishcloths one of the Cenacle patrons sent me in the 90's. She said they would be the best ones I'd ever used and they were. I would love to be able to make some myself so it was neat to find your link to that site! However I need someone to teach me the basics of knitting before trying the Can It Be Any Easier one. There's a knitting store in the neighborhood. I will try there. Great post! -Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still going knuts? How about an update on that dishcloth you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience, patience....

    Wot dishcloth i'm making? You don't think i actually DO this stuff, do you? I think it's just a good idea. When I get the time, I'll go find a yarn shop, etc. Please don't hold your breath...

    xo, ma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leave it to the knitters to keep themselves in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:04 PM

    finne017: are YOU a knitter? in addition to everything else? seems to me i remember ur ma knitting a lot. i am HOPELESS. but these powerful women do entertain me with their accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.