Sunday, September 09, 2007

One more, then back to hiatus



When I took the photo of Tom in his Navy uniform out of the frame to scan it, one of my missing treasures appeared: a photograph of the baseball team from St. Thomas parish in Ann Arbor, MI, and a visiting team from China.

My grandpa, John William Dwyer, was coach of St Thomas, and the two handsome guys still wholly visible on the right side of the top row are my Uncle Edgar (no cap) and my dad, Francis Thomas Dwyer. (Tom the birthday boy, Thomas Murray Carew, in the post just before this was named for my dad and his other grandfather, James Murray Carew.)

It's impossible to read the typeset words under the photo, but I've got my magnifying glass out, and it reads:

"St. Thomas and Chinese University teams.
Standing: J.W. Dwyer, Esq., Leo Ritz, Charlie Baribeau, Harry Gillen (?), George Kratzmiller (?), Everett Given, Edgar Dwyer, Francis Dwyer, and (partially hidden)
Jack Walsh,
Seated: Chinese University ball team."

Where the Chinese University was, and why their baseball team was in Ann Arbor, are mysteries that I hope other family members (attention Susan!) can help solve. The year was probably sometime around 1910, which would make my dad about 16. My brother Paul sent me this photocopy about 1996-1998, while I was in NYC. At least, I think that's when he sent it.

1 comment:

  1. That photo discovery is right out of a Nancy Drew book. What a great find. I wonder who won that baseball game. Also it's nice to see the relaxed vibe. In most old photos the people look pretty tense.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.