News from the Diet Wars
- iVillage has a great free diet & fitness website that you can use to help customize your meal plans, an exercise regimen, and stress relief activities (didn't they used to call this meditation back in the day?).
www.healthylivingonline.com- Trader Joe's sells the most wonderful whole wheat hot dog buns! I know...hot dogs are a no no...but on my custom designed iVillage meal plan (1200 calories/day, nonvegetarian), my first dinner called for one hot dog on a multi-grain bun. I haven't found any multi-grain buns yet, but the whole wheat one is great. And who's to say you can't put a tofu dog in one of them? Some of those fake sossidges are better than others.
- One of our coworkers showed up at a meeting the other week looking very thin. We all asked her how she did it, as she's been battling overweight for several years....the old yoyo diet gig....lose 18, gain 15, lose 10, gain 15...we all know how that goes. She said she tried the program at my hospital (which is also Dick Cheney's hospital, grrrr). Anyway, I was emptying the wastebaskets of junk mail this a.m. in preparation for Carmen's arrival this afternoon, and a blurb on a flyer caught my eye: "Soandso Lost 140 Pounds in One Year! Learn More on Page X." I turned to Page X and discovered that the program was at my hospital. The program was not about simple weight loss, however. It was offered by their center for bariatric surgery. I don't know if our coworker actually had weight loss surgery. I know my hospital does other things besides surgery to support good health practices. But, gee. Another of our coworkers did have this surgery several years ago, and she's as skinny as Wallis Windsor now. I'm sure this kind of thing is going to go over big here in the City of Satan's Everlasting Brunch.
Thanks for your kind comments on my humble blogging efforts!
ReplyDeleteRe your hot dog buns, I really don't like hot dogs, but I make my own multi grain buns and bread using my bread machine, what a wonderful invention.
Hmmmm, I think I'll have to write a post on the wonders of bread machines soon.
my brother Bob has a bread machine, and he loves it. My brother Gene had one first, and he was crazy about it, too.
ReplyDeleteDo you use a prepared bread mix or make your own?
P.S. If I had any sense, I wouldn't like or eat hot dogs, either.
ReplyDeleteI use flour specially packaged for bread. Here in Canada we can buy white, whole wheat and multigrain flour for bread, but I often just make my own mix. I have added garlic, onion and parmesan cheese, and sometimes some finely grated carrot and some parsley... smells wonderful when it is baking!
ReplyDeleteoh, yum! the only additions i've ever thrown in were raisins and chopped walnuts. yours sound delightful!
ReplyDelete