
Thursday, March 1, 2007, 10:45 a.m.That's when they'll install the cochlear implant. "Tune in" will be a month or six weeks after that--April 1 or 15 or thereabouts. My horoscope last week said, "The long melt-down of your life is almost over." Hmmm....
After the operation, my ear will be worthless without the implant. The shrink asked me yesterday how I felt about that, and I said, "It's worthless now." I'll still be able to wear an earring on it or tuck a pencil behind it, though. And it will hold up the processor, which please the gods, will work as desired and hoped for.
Great News Ma!
ReplyDeleteNow we all have something to look forward to. I hope the actual procedure isn't to painful.
Sally, Peggy, & Henry:
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your good wishes. I don't think it'll be painful much, although they'll have to shave/grind a wee indent in my skull so the implant will lie flat (such fun!!). The whole thing will take about 1 hour, so I'm hoping it won't be too strenuous. I'm praying there will be NO infection and NO allergy to whatever they pump in me. And then, once everything's all healed, we'll find out about phone conversations!
Some implantees can pick up the phone and start yakking from day 1 after tune in. Others can't manage it at all. I do look forward to talking with George on the phone for the first time, though. And I'll have to pay attention to all the ads for phone service that fly around me all the time.
They tell you not to get your hopes up, but how the hey can you NOT??
xo, ma/m.e.