Sunday, July 30, 2017

Riverkeeping!!

DC has a fabulous organization:  the Anacostia Riverkeeper.  There's also a Chesapeake Waterkeepers, too.  I went on a boat tour led by Anacostia Riverkeeper Emily--8 miles from the DC Waterfront to the start of the Anacostia River--two days ago, and I am still thinking about it.  We had a huge rainstorm here yesterday, and the riverkeeper's words about why the Anacostia is no longer 40' deep, but 20'--because of the silt washed from the DC storm sewers into the river.  and I was inspired to pick up some trash at the bus stop across P Street NW from Whole Foods.  Somebody's grocery bag had split open, and I stacked the salvageable parts (4 cans, 1 bag of rice, two fresh peaches) under the shelter, and then picked up the half-eaten pear, an open bag of whole-wheat pasta, and tossed that in the trash can next to the shelter.  This is a good occupation for an old retired woman who doesn't see well enough to ride a bike or drive a car.  Keeping the trash out of the river before it gets there.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I don't understand why people don't pick up after themselves, or clean up their accidents or messes. Guess we have to be carefully taught and some aren't, or don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 AM

    Marvelous, what a blog it is! This blog gives helpful
    data to us, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.