Saturday, March 31, 2012

Immortal Beloved....

Ever hanker to see a VW Beetle completely covered with Huichol beadwork?

Glorious Bug!

This is an eagle, but when we first saw it, we thought it might have been a phoenix--isn't that a fire just below the eagle?  Wrong us, wrong legend....

This one's a little blurry, but you can see the snakes, various kinds of deer, and some little yellow scorpions just under the vents at the top of the picture.

This is the view of the top, taken from the second floor.  I love the four blue double-headed eagles in the corners and also the woman with offerings on the bottom edge. 
Friends Judy (seated), Sue (right), and Meredith (back).  Judy, who is Native American, and wife Sue have six pieces of Huichol art, though nothing as big as the Vochol.

Poster with clues to the images



(To get a gorgeous view, click the full screen icon!)

The Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian (NAMI) has a Vochol on display right now--until May 6, 2012. Vochol combines the Mexican name for VW Beetle (vocho) with Huichol, the name of a west-central Mexican people noted for their beadwork. (The Huichol also are called Wixáritari in their own language.)

Eight artists from two Wixáritari families took seven months to create this gorgeous beaded Bug. They used 200 pounds of beads and needed more than 9,000 hours to paste them all on. Except for the tires and running boards, almost every inch of the Beetle's exterior is beaded--even the back of the mirror on the driver's side. Even the interior has colorful Wixáritari embroidery designs, although only the steering wheel and the dashboard are completely beaded.

My photos don't begin to compare with those in the video above, but due to some mysterious intervention by my camera, the photo just before the ones I took of the Vochol was of the gate on 7th and H Streets NW in DC's Chinatown. I was floored by the similarity: bits of bright color, indigenous (though continents apart) design.


Another bonus: This flower was blooming by the waterfall between the East and West buildings of the National Gallery. Again, the Huichol beadwork in the NMAI display suggest the bright colors, the delicate shapes in nature's fine art.

A flower by the waterfall in the walkway between the East and West buildings of the National Gallery.

12 comments:

  1. Mary Ellen what a wonderful time spent with all of you at this exhibit. You didn't mention the shattered crockery, but in case you do remember it wasn't a piece of pottery with untold value. Just saying. xxx
    Judith K. Witherow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mention R., the organizer of the event (for 11 a.m. on a Saturday morning--HER idea), either. A writer, she is well known for working through the wee hours and sleeping till 2 or 3 p.m. Sue said, "I don't think I've ever SEEN her at 11 a.m. anywhere."

    The crockery definitely was not priceless. I didn't mention the two little Mexican kiddies who squealed with joy when they saw the Vochol and clambered under the ropes to get at it. When the lovely museum guard stepped in their way and asked them to return to their mothers, they burst into tears. In all, it was quite exciting! What will happen next??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen I have found that no matter where I might wander, trouble is inevitably nipping at my heels. It's been a wonderful life--sort of. xxx

      Delete
    2. What's so wonderful about you is that you accept and embrace the trouble! Most of the rest of us do our best to hide from it or escape it or...you know the drill. Gah. Onward!!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:09 PM

    What a surprise! This beats my old blue sunroof, but I remember it, my first car, with shiny eyes. The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. We bought our first VW in 1962 for $1400! Bicycles sell for more than that now. You had a SUNROOF? Cool.

      Delete
  4. Spectacular! I was totally unfamiliar with this art or the Indian bead work. The flower is indeed lovely and your photo really sharp. Interesting relationships between them all as you note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:56 PM

    I also had a beetle bug, but nothing like this. Oh it is so lovely! Can you imagine a society in which the logistics of everyday life were beautifully adorned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:57 PM

    Oooops sorry..the above anonymous post was from me: Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that's truly amazing art work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:29 AM

    Do you remember when you could rent your VW out for advertising, and they'd paint some company on it. Mine was in bad need of a paint job, but I was afraid, I'd get some stupid company like laundry detergent, which wouldn't help my long suffering image of coolness. I LOVE this VW. Great art. I'd probably get in shape, too because I park it at the back of every lot so its doors wouldn't get dinged. Thanks for stopping by my post. Your art really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.