This has been a week from L'Inferno, what with the power going out for 30 hours two nights ago in our local thundersnow, and a dear friend going back into the hospital, and a valued client needing her document ASAP, and she did mean NOW.
So tonight was the first time I've had to pay thorough attention to all my favorite blogs (the ones listed down the right side). I've kept up with the political ones, but they're not the ones that give me so much joy and fun. And look what I found!!
Dear Non-Working Monkey announced a caption contest on January 17 for THIS PHOTOGRAPH, and the challenge was irresistible.
So I entered the caption, "Oboy! I'm not dead yet!" and about FIVE days ago, Non-Working Monkey announced it was the winning caption!!!!
So....to everyone out there who enters contests, I say "Hang in there!" Persistence pays!! This is the first thing I've won since I won a portable radio in a Tom Mix "Name Tom's New Dog" contest back when I was 9. That's so long ago I can't remember the name of Tom Mix's first dog, but it and the puppy were collies. I named the puppy "McShawn" (sounds like MIX at first) and it was good for second prize. I rode around for maybe two weeks with that big red radio playing in a special basket attached to the handlebars of my bike. After that, I don't know what happened to it. Probably my brother took it.
Congratulations! Funny caption.
ReplyDeletethanks! i love non-working monkey's blog...and I especially love the logo at the top. it's so fitting for those of us who work online at home.
ReplyDeleteGood caption. Congratulations on your win.
ReplyDeleteHow cool that you won. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteTo me they look not quite dead but unreal, like the waxworks tourists visit at the Hollywood Museum.
M.E., you must have been fun to hang out with when you were nine. In fact, you still are. :)
Diana: What can I say? Once a brat, always a brat....and totally averse to wax museums. I do agree about the appearance in the photos, though. What were you like when you were 9? That's one of my favorite ages in kids--actually, 10 is a wonderful age, but 9 is close.
ReplyDeleteA lovable brat ;)
ReplyDeleteWow, nobody ever asked me what I was like at nine.
Speaking of museums, that's where I was hanging out. While you were tooling around on your bike, I was in New York City, the new kid in a school just two blocks from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I didn't speak English (having just arrived from Germany), didn't have any friends to play with in the yard, so I would walk over to the museum at lunch break to visit a mummy in the Egyptian section. It was under glass and some of the wrappings were tattered, exposing details, such as the cuticles on the fingernails, and the balls of the feet. I remember thinking long and hard about how those feet had walked the earth so many thousands of years ago. After my imagination ran wild in the Egyptian section, I started wandering around, finding myself falling in love with all the great art -- Van Gogh, of course (what child wouldn't love "Starry Night"), and Rosa Bonheur (the size and grandeur of her "Horse Fair" blew me away), Degas (loved the ballerinas), Munsch (that scary "Scream"), and countless others. The guards must have thought I was a very strange little kid. No doubt they were right.
Anyway, seeing my interest in art, my father bought me books on my favorite artists, and this is how I began to learn English.
And here we are...
(Aren't you glad you asked lol)
Diana: Don't tell me you went to PS 6?! Are you still interested in art? And yes, I AM glad I asked. Strange kid, no. Unique, yes.
ReplyDeletePS6, yes! How'd you know?
ReplyDeleteOrdinary kid, unique circumstances.
I still love art, especially my old friends at the museum, though my artistic bent later leaned more toward film.
Did you live in Manhattan?
I did live there, but not for long--maybe 6 or 7 months in 1991, and again in 1996-1998, when I went to City College (lived in brooklyn that time). PS 6 is FAMOUS for the quality of its education--#1 or #2 rank among NYC public schools. I used to date a school nurse, who kept me informed about the various schools she worked in.
ReplyDeleteAh so you know about PS6 from several sources.
ReplyDeleteI only spent a year there, so I don't remember all that much about the education. I'm sure it lived up to its reputation. Funny how you remember some things like it was yesterday and you completely blank out on other things.
You never said what you won. The honor of winning? A radio? Congratulations, whatever it was! The D.N.
ReplyDelete