Despite the election day before yesterday, there are miracles all around....here's a happy you-tube for Ronniecat and Cynthia and Darlene and Barbara. This 8-month-old baby was born deaf. Watch the moment as his cochlear implant is activated and he hears sound for the first time--and his mother's voice. We got our CIs much later, but that little guy's face says it all: I HEAR YOU!!! (Thanks to Peggy for sending this!!)
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the happiest video I've ever seen!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!!!! I needed that!!!!!
That's great!
ReplyDeleteGracious, that brought happy tears this morning! Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteFantastic!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing that you can plan ahead of time to catch that moment on film? Do they flip a switch to turn on the implant? However it works, it's wonderful. The D.N.
ReplyDeleteAmazing! What a happy lucky baby. I have teas in my eyes from watching this video 4 times!
ReplyDeleteKay: Nothing like pure joy!!
ReplyDeleteSarah: Thanks...I loved the shift from not hearing to hearing.
Nance: So glad you stopped by--and I was astonished and delighted to see XE on your blog list! Thanks for that, too.
Joared: It is indeed fantastic!
DN: You make an appointment about a month to 6 weeks after surgery for turn-on. No reason why you can't have someone there to videotape it.
I don't know exactly how it works with babies, but I suspect they mic the mother so the baby hears her in addition to the audiologist's computer tones. With adults the audiologist hooks your processor up to a computer and plays an array of tones. I can't remember whether my audiologist worked from my last pre-implant audiogram or started from scratch. I could look it up, I suppose...I have a bunch of posts on my CI. :) If the implant is working, then you tell the audiologist whether the sounds are too loud or too soft. Once he or she develops the programs (my processor has four), then they disconnect the processor from the computer, insert a set of 3 batteries, turn the processor on, and Bob's your uncle! (yes, I know he is, but you know what I mean :).....
Shammy: A warm heart is a good thing to have in Canada....I love this, too.
Wow! The joy in both their faces, and you can just see the bonding intensify. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLinda