Before I say anything else, I wish to say regarding George W. Bush--and even more his family--that we, the American people, do need eye-openers and not the kind that come in glasses or with ice cubes. Sad to say, we are not going to get this from either Bush's new book OR the American media, and I leave it to your imagination--if it hasn't already been blown by the events of the past 10 years--to tell you why.
Here's a hint. In Chapter I, "How Did Bush Happen?" of Family of Secrets, author Russ Baker begins,
This is the story of a family we thought we knew--and a country we have barely begun to comprehend.
George Bush, father and son, are vastly more complicated, and their doings are vastly more troubling, than the conventional wisdom would have it. This book reveals the story behind their story, documenting the secrets that the House of Bush has long sought to obscure.
These revelations about the Bushes lead in turn to an even more disturbing truth about the country itself. It's not just that such a clan could occupy the presidency or vice presidency for twenty of the past twenty-eight years and remain essentially unknown. It's that the methods of stealth and manipulation that powered their rise reflect a deeper ill: the American public's increasingly tenuous hold upon the levers of its own democracy.
Intrigued? By all means, buy or borrow Family of Secrets and prepare to lose yourself in its almost 600 pages of substantiated revelations that at the very least clearly illuminate the transfer of America's vast wealth to the very few.
I'm going to put it on reserve tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteKay: Got your blood pressure pills handy? Fainting couch all set with fresh pillows, your favorite blankie, and a heater nearby? Pencil sharpened? This is one incredible book. Take notes and prepare to raise hell.
ReplyDeleteI probably won't read either of the books. I won't read the memoirs because I really can't bear to have that man in my head for any longer than he already is. I won't read the other one for the same reason. It's not that I'm sticking my head in the sand, I am just going to put my energy somewhere else. In fact there is a new book about Seaweeds of Britain and Ireland that I'm dying to get my hands on. :-)
ReplyDeletePeggy: Happy thought:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlK4iPSFSmY