Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thoughts on a Saturday Night without Effective Air Conditioning.....

Xtreme English is feeling a bit cranky tonight.  Even though the AC has been on all day, set responsibly at 78, it's around 90 in my room cuz it's so hot outside no AC can keep up with it.  Needless to say, I'm not complaining about the heat per se.  I've said many times that I'd rather be hot than cold any day.  Still true.  If you grew up where I did and in the era I did, you'd know what "cold" means.  Cold is not 40F.  It's -40F.
But I digress.  I'm cranky cuz I'm sweaty and because some loud and pushy residents of this country seem to be set on driving us all off a cliff.

I just read this on Prairie Weather (not exactly weather-related, but prairie weather is especially harsh).

Here's the last paragraph:
Now an angry group of Americans wants to be freer still—free from government agencies that protect their health, wealth, and well-being; free from problems and policies too difficult to understand; free from parties and coalitions; free from experts who think they know better than they do; free from politicians who don’t talk or look like they do (and Barack Obama certainly doesn’t). They want to say what they have to say without fear of contradiction, and then hear someone on television tell them they’re right. They don’t want the rule of the people, though that’s what they say. They want to be people without rules—and, who knows, they may succeed. This is America, where wishes come true. And where no one remembers the adage “Beware what you wish for.”...Excerpts from Mark Lilla, "The Tea Party Jacobins," NYRB
 G'night, y'alls....Remember: "The family that sweats together frets together"--that's not exactly it, but you know....Have a nice evening....

10 comments:

  1. Hang in there Ma!

    I could actually do with a hot, sticky summer spell - even for a few days.

    You survived most of my childhood without air-conditioning. I can't imagine anywhere other than North Africa is hotter than Iowa in the summer. Day after day of 110 heat with high humidity . . . . the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a hellish hot'n'humid week here in S Ontario too, but I escaped the heat by spending the week by the ocean in St Johns Newfoundland with YoungerSon, my DIL, and baby Isaac.... pictures on my blog as soon as I get them sorted out.
    My next house is going to have a/c, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had a pleasant summer in our southern Calif. valley and I love it. "June gloom" has lasted into early July, though we did have over 100 several days last week (yes, dry heat, and there is a difference from heat with high humidity.) Grew up in snow country -- can always add more clothes but only so much I can take off when it sizzles. Guess I'd rather freeze than cook to death.

    Stay cool in more ways than one, but we do need to keep alert to ensure those misguided ideas don't become the rule of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we think it is quite intolerable here in the UK if it goes above 85. To be fair, we don't have air conditioning on the whole, so 85 outside is usually at least as bad inside. I usually would rather too cold than too hot (but I have never met -40). The technology for warming up is simpler than for cooling down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:05 PM

    I can't stand heat on that proportion. Hang in there Mary and hopefully things will cool down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prairie Weather certainly has the Tea Party nuts pegged. The trouble is, if they get what they wish for the rest of us will have to suffer right along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the tea baggies, what Darlene said.

    On the weather, my comfort range is between 60 and 70 F. Anything over that is too hot. Living on an island off the west coast I get a lot of what I like, and I sympathize wholeheartedly with you poor people living through 90's and higher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 20th: I've always thought it was my Irish/northern European genes that made me so comfortable between 60F-70F. I don't mind the heat (too much), but I come alive when the temps are moderate and even a bit chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd rather be in the cold than in the heat like this. There's only so much you can do to cool off. Love snuggling under a thick quilt in the winter with a good book. If I ever move from DC, it will be north rather than south.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No AC here but the ceiling fans are working overtime!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.