Friday, July 30, 2010

Prom songs

Which one of these songs do you think would be the last song played on prom night, 1954?   My daughter just put a song on Facebook that recalls to her the "slow, smoochy last song played at the prom."  Well, these are slow--and I'm not sure they're zackly smoochy--but they were popular in 1954, when Shanley High School had its jr-sr. prom.  I like them all, and I remember dancing to them--just not at the prom, per se.  You pick...or if you remember a totally different song, and you're of a certain age, let me know what it was.  (Also, remember that Doris Day's song would have been played on a record--without the costumes...)




8 comments:

  1. I graduated in '65 but I couldn't tell you what was played because I didn't go to the prom. Tall, skinny nerds need not apply.

    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Secret Love, surely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay...I may be in trouble with someone, but I can't remember if I went to the senior prom (or the junior prom, for that matter). So much for the biggest dance of all as a teen.

    Ronnie...it's truly a lovely song. I've been going around all day humming and whistling parts of it. I also liked "Moon River," but that didn't materialize until 1957!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been "Unchained Melody", but I graduated in 1966 - in the middle of a revolution in popular music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I graduated in '65, but can't remember what they played at my senior prom. I do remember my jr prom though, and the song there was "Moon River." Loved it then, love it now. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:48 PM

    Having been graduated from high school in June of 1955, I DID go to my senior prom - probably in the fall of 1954 - but, don't ask me what music was played. I remember NOTHING about the prom except that I went with a friend's boyfriend. (She was my brother's fiance's closest friend - and she was in college and unable to make it to the prom.) The guy said that if I could get my brother to take us (my brother was in college but would be home for that weekend) to the prom, he (our friend's bf) and I could go to the prom. We attended the prom and went to dinner with my brother & his fiance afterward. The guy was a tall, dark, and handsome artistic type; but, of course there was no chemistry between us! We were friends. That, Kay D, is how a nerd (I started on a degree in physics in the fall of 1955) goes to the prom!

    As I had no junior year in high school (skipped it), the one prom is the only one that I attended.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved Secret Love, but I graduated in '66, so that was undoubtedly not the song played there. Another nerd here, no jr. or sr. prom for me. I haven't the slightest idea what was played. I was so shy in high school, that I never looked at a boy, much less talked to one. I blossomed in college.

    Extreme English, I found your blog through the Skoog Farm site. It looks like a lot of fun, and, I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing how h.s. nerds can turn into the most wonderful, accomplished adults!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.