Sunday, May 24, 2009

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream....updated

....was one of the FIRST rhymes I learned. Long before "twinkle, twinkle, little star" or "liar, liar, pants on fire." (I was being prepared from the cradle to live in 2000-2008--the Bush-Cheney years.)

Anyway, I have been a very good old battleaxe today--fresh fruit for breakfast, iced tea and a Cobb salad for lunch, the rest of the Cobb salad for dinner--and now my cells are screaming for ice cream!!!

I could dash out the door and run to Safeway before it closes, pick up a pint of Haagen-Dasz, run up the stairs (yup! i can run up the stairs now--several flights!!), get out a spoon, and eat the whole thing.

Except I'm trying to eat only really nutritious stuff these days. And the thought came to me while brushing my teeth that I could make one of those smoothie things with ice cubes. Let's see...I've got half a dozen strawberries left, a 1/2 pint of blueberries, some apricots...and some grape-black cherry juice and some (gag) soy milk. Maybe I could make something cold and sweet that would fool my tastebuds into thinking I'd landed on some ice cream.

Or I could just give up the ice cream idea altogether and have Ants on a Log--a celery stick with peanut butter and raisins. I confess to liking the NAME of that--and all the individual parts--better than the combination.

Or I could go take a couple of vitamin pills and have a nice cup of hot tea.

Or I could make a coupla fitty-fittys and watch TV!!!

Sigh.

UPDATE: I haven't done any of the above yet. Been prowling online for treats, and here's absolutely the BEST use of all that dang, tasteless iceburg lettuce:

http://bakingbites.com/2009/05/spiced-lettuce-cake-bars/

4 comments:

  1. Oh heck, Mary Ellen. Go ahead and get that ice cream. Live a little. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lived a little the following night...ran right out there and got a pint of vanilla swiss almond and a box of cookies, too--stauffer's snickerdoodles. yummy.

    i'm still paying for it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Spiced Lettuce Cake Bars - where do you find stuff like this? I have to admit, it does sound tempting, but whenever I have too much lettuce, it's already turning brown on the ends and getting limp. Now, if you could use garden leaf lettuce, that would be a different story. There's always too much of that. The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think it matters much what kind of lettuce you use. you just need to shred it fine enough. iceberg lettuce is ubiquitous in the american diet, and unlike garden lettuce, it's available year round. if you find yourself with too much, it will wilt. also, for salads, cutting it with a knife or slicing it on a mandoline is what turns the edges brown. so use it while it's fresh, both in salads and for the muffins or bars. don't let it sit around. or get a rabbit.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.