Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dining Out in the Recession

Prince of Petworth, one of the blogs I follow, has all the latest grand opening news. I was looking at the online dinner menu for one of PoP's new local hot spots, and the appetizer section had tacos al carbon for $8. For your eight bucks, you get two tacos--marinated pork or grilled beef with onions & cilantro on a warm corn tortilla--accompanied by their signature salsa. Sides of sour cream and guacamole are available for $1.50 each.

Eh? The beef or chicken tacos I've enjoyed at El Tammy's come with cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole at no extra charge.

It kinda reminded me of the old joke about railroad food.
Sign in dining car: "Cheese Sandwich, $2.50; with Cheese, $4."


Eating out just keeps getting more and more expensive. How come? The price of gas dropped months ago, but we never catch a break. All those merchants who raised their prices cuz of the cost of shipping (inflated by the cost of gas) never lowered them after their shipping costs dropped. Presumably...the shippers are probably hanging onto those few cents, too.

I had lunch at the grand opening of the Union Cafe on U St. today. The big bowl of roasted vegetable soup was wonderful. Next time, though, I'm gonna bypass the chicken salad sandwich--it tasted a bit sweet (putting sweet stuff in salads seems to be a southern thing that doesn't jibe with my Spartan upbringing)--and have the kid special of 3 chicken tenders, a juice box, and a cookie. I don't mind sweets, but keep em where they belong.

3 comments:

  1. You're lucky to get out to a restaurant as often as you do. We went out for dinner (before seeing Star Trek) as a family and it was the first time this year we've gone out. The occasion was the end of exams for young George. It is too expensive for us to make it a regular thing. We spend our money on other things like heating, home repair and the family holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like being around other people when i eat. i have guests for meals often, but when i don't, i tend to head out for lunch. i don't own a car, so i don't have that monstrous expense. it's FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I'm living on my own, I very rarely eat out at restaurants, but next week I'm meeting some friends and we're going out for hot wings!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.