Sunday, January 06, 2008

New Year's Resolution


Everyone else has posted their New Year's resolutions. I'm late, but I had to wait for the proper inspiration. Opened this today from my guru in the wild west....thanx, M'reen


I just read an article on the dangers of heavy drinking....Scared the shit out of me!

So that's it! After today, no more reading!.



Actually, I'm doing pretty good following the advice of Mad Cabbie on weight loss and general fitness. Today was day two without TV. I also participated in the Georgetown Death March....walking up Rock Creek to the zoo (a distance of two miles) but then comes the HARD PART: Getting yourself out of the zoo and over to the Woodley Park metro stop...it had to be another two miles UPHILL and on hard pavement! The two miles along Rock Creek were on nice, soft mud.

For your edification, I've included my next progress picture: two TV-less days and four miles later, four OUNCES lighter, and a haircut. (I lost the four ounces BEFORE the haircut, thank you.)

p.s. please check out Tartx. wotta BLOG!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Congrats. And you look great with your haircut.

    Hope to join your improvement campaign together...hmmmm how??

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the haircut! Hope you didn't overdo it on the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kat:
    uncle mad's program is all fun, all the time. i'd forgotten what an improvement NO TV is.

    peggy:
    a walk like that is why god made tylenol extra strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No TV is a great idea. I only have the basic cable package and there's very little shown on the 20 channels that I want to watch. Now, if I went to the next more expensive package, there might be something worth while, but I'm not very hopeful. So I just watch a couple of programmes on TVO and PBS. Specially English stuff.
    As for resolutions, I didn't bother to tell anyone, that way when I break them no-body knows! I went to the gym this morning and I am continuing with tai chi... but I have to finish all the Christmas goodies before you'll see any noticeable improvement in my physique!!
    Oh, and I go for walks every day with The Space Cadet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Ex-Shammie:
    Tai chi is wonderful...but so are Christmas goodies! With luck, maybe the tai chi will prevent the goodies from taking over. Good for you for taking daily walks with the Space Cadet. I'm too easily tempted to take the bus after a day at work, especially if my foot hurts. But of course, my foot would not hurt if I walked more....Hmmm....Florida calls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:03 PM

    I got rid of my TV a few years ago and I was instantly amazed at how easy it was to live without it! I thought I would go through this huge withdrawal, but nothing, nothing at all. I don't miss it at all, in fact, when I visit friends who have TV it bothers me just how bad it is and how oblivious my friend are to that.

    Tip: I couldn't bring myself to trash the TV because my addiction to it was so bad, so I found a friend 20 miles away who was willing to "store" my TV in her basement. That way, if I really couldn't live without it I was faced with a long drive to get it back. After a year of no regrets I retrieved it and gave it to the Sally Ann.

    Now I live with my son's family who also don't have a TV and I am happy that my grandchildren are growing up without that trash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. regular features of life in our house when the kids were growing up were the no-tv periods, when i'd just lock up the tv for months at a time. it used to take the kids about 2-3 weeks to withdraw, but i had no problem at all. it was so pleasant to have them come into the kitchen to talk and play at their art table while i was preparing supper, etc. i would have thrown it out altogether, but they'd occasionally have school assignments to watch this or that program.

    lucky you to live in a toobless environment! it's amazing what happens to your energy and stress levels when the tv is GONE.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.