Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Year 2008 + John


When listing the things I'm grateful for in the "New Year 2008" post, I named only my living brothers. My oldest brother, John, died in the early 1990s. He was 14 when I was born, and courtesy of WWII, he was gone from home for good by the time I was 5.

John was a doctor, a warm, gentle man and, among other things, a skilled amateur photographer. Besides taking wonderful photos of his young children, he liked to photograph the TV screen for fun. I loved his moody blue and white picture of Michaelangelo's Pieta taken from a program in the 50s or 60s on the art treasures of the Vatican.

Occasionally, just for the fun of it (it's a moving target, and you never really know what you'll capture when you trip the shutter, and the results are always a bit blurry) I take photos of the TV screen, too. One night last week, there was this Barbra Streisand movie playing on cable, and while I didn't actually watch the movie--the toob was just on in the background--Streisand really has a nifty face, and her close-ups caught my eye. Here's one.

So, thanks, John, for showing me how to find beauty in the mundane. I'm very grateful for that.

6 comments:

  1. Uncle John was a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:40 PM

    To me, his daughter, your brother John was the BEST dad in all the world! I miss him a lot! Thanks for sharing a few memories of him---from Katy in Duluth

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, katy...i miss him, too. he wrote wonderful letters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've done that too. I've taken a group of them on one show and then pasted them into an e-mail with silly captions for my daughter. She tought that I was crazy.

    I'm having a little give-away over at my blog. No gimicks, it's just for fun - my way of celebrating the one year anniversary of having my space on the web.

    http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks, Rick! I've just set up a post about Organized Doodles, your give-away, etc. And I'm adding you to my faves list....Happy New Year!

    M.E.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.