Her photos of a little tan spider posted on the Old Old Lady of the Hills's blog today have drawn many comments.
A couple of them talked about whether the wee spider was actually--there's your grandson's favorite word again, other Naomi--a brown recluse, that shy little spider from central and northern Illinois and central and southern Iowa whose bite can be very nasty--like, it rots your flesh. Ergh!
I was concerned when I first saw the color and rather elongated profile of the spider, but then I wasn't too concerned about it until someone else mentioned having the same thoughts. So, having acquired, among other things, an undergraduate degree in biology in my eclectic existence, I was curious and looked it up.
HERE is a fabulous website with lots of information about the brown recluse spider.
After studying this website for a while, it seems fairly clear that OOLOTH's photogenic little arachnid is probably NOT a recluse, although I can't tell for sure.
The one photo that shows the spider's back clearly doesn't really show whether it carries the recluse's trademark dark brown violin shape on the cephalothorax (fancy scientic term, which most of us biologists will recognize right off).
It MAY be a Cheiracanthium, which the website shows and describes as a very pale greenish or yellowish spider with...tada...black feet! It may be scratches on my glasses, but it seems as if OOLOTH's little spider does have dark feet.
Who knew? One learns something new every day.
How to avoid the bites of these spiders? The website says don't put your hands or feet into anything dark that has been sitting around undisturbed for a long time. Like gloves or boots or shoes that have been lying around in the back of the closet (see "Hats, Gloves, and Scarves" on Red Nose. Not that she has spiders in her closet, but it's a good idea to get in there and straighten things out now and then.)
Brown recluse spiders don't build webs, they're very shy, they don't JUMP, they're not hairy...they just kind of wimp around in dark places hoping something to eat will pass by REALLY CLOSE.
Well, now..you've got me ALL Creeped Out! (lol) I felt so good about my little spider....NEVER evwn occurred to me that it would harm me in any way....! And there it was...not being shy, at all! I mean I was there, the water was there, the LIGHT was there...., and so was this little spider....trying to build a web!
ReplyDeleteAnd then, I left the room....and twenty minutes later, he was not there anymore! I do dearly hope he is happy, wherever he is!! LOL!
Yikes! It never occurred to me to worry about spiders, although in doing some other cleaning, we picked up a caster and found it full of spider eggs -- gah!
ReplyDeletewell, i've done my work. two perfectly cheerful people now worried about spiders.
ReplyDeletewhat shall my next topic be? "what they put in hot dogs"? or how about "yes, fish have cholesterol, too"?
i like spiders. they're the cleaning ladies that never have to be paid. they just want a few bugs and a drop of water now and then. which is why it was on the water spout...(oh, shut. up. now., XE)
"They just kind of wimp around in dark places hoping something to eat will pass by REALLY CLOSE"
ReplyDeleteHmmm..... That sounds like a guy I used to go with......
Thanks for the visit...! I must admit the floor looks pretty clean...the rest of the Kitchen? Not so great! (lol) Maybe I should post pictures of that!!! (NOOOOO! Too embarrassed...)
ReplyDeleteDad almost lost his leg to a brown recluse spider. It had been IN HIS BED!
ReplyDeleteOh my! The Kay is not afraid of spiders but this kinda creepy. thanks, M.E.!!!
ReplyDeleteNancy -- did we date the same guy?
Oh no... I've never even heard of a brown recluse spider. Sounds awful! Do they come in other colours?
ReplyDeleteBTW I did your meme, but I warn you, It's boring. I left out all the juicy parts to protect the innocent, as they say.
red wiggler worms get my attention more than brown spiders. however, the latter are more photogenic.
ReplyDeletethanks for visiting, all...i have been engaged in moral combat with earthlink for the past three days, more or less...and i only just now have been able to come up for air. score:
ReplyDeleteearthlink = 3
XE = 0
they have knocked out 1 of my phone lines, upon which they cannot deliver my newly ordered DSL service, and they have wiped out my dialup service. snif. wot's a gurl to do??
i'm back to poaching on airport.
macs are wonderful, though. i gotta say that.
ex-shammy...i dint find your meme boring at all. u are one of the lucky few with a calm life.
happy moonday!! xe