Sunday, October 15, 2006

In the eyes of our public

The following posts appear today, October 15, 2006, in the local DC media.

from WJLA.com:

I find it very funny that the press release from the Faculty Student Staff Alumni Coalition talks about the protesters not being willing to live "in an oppressive, fearful, environment any longer."

So what do these frightened student leaders do? They turn around and create an opressive, fearful environment for any student or faculty member that does not join the protest or does not share their view. My kid called me all upset and my wife and I have our child home until the administration can regain control and punish the offenders. Punishment is what they deserve and I hope that they do not give into the demand for no retaliation.

My kid went to get help from his teacher at the fence on Wednesday, the first day of the campus closure and what happens? A few of the protesting students take pictures of those meeting with their teachers. What followed was bullying, intimidation and threats of bodily harm. Of course these thugs were also making note of the teachers there and I would hate to be in their shoes if the administration caves to their demands.

In civil society we hold those who hold others hostage accountable and the students, staff and faculty who are responsible should have the guts to stand up and take what is coming to them. That is leadership; these folks, they want to pass the buck or deny accountability.

I may not know a lot of things but I know this. If you do not like your boss, you resign and find another, you do not insist that the boss resign. I also know this. We are looking for other options for higher education because if the thugs and disgruntled faculty win, higher education and Gallaudet loses.



From WJLA.com


I drove by the university today and the front gate is still manned by a mob. There a signs draped all over calling the students who were arrested 'heros'. I say they are cowards. It is very clear from their demands that that want to take no responsibility for their destructive actions. The brave stand up, take a stand and take responsibility. These cowards want to hide refuse to take the consequences.I was told that the students did damage to the major classroom building when they were holding it hostage. Are the students going to pay for this damage? The grounds from what I could see look like a pig sty. There was litter everywhere and it is clear that they are not cleaning up after themselves. They have absolutely no pride in this university that they say they love so much. No, I think they love creating chaos for others. I think they like bullying students who do not share their views and I think they like to feel that they are in control. God forbid they ever are. By their actions I think they must enjoy dragging the name of their university through the mud.

The students protesting complain about the lack of leadership and yet the students and faculty behind this debacle have shown zero leadership. I hope the Board and the university administration hold those who created this havoc accountable. If they do not, maybe the students are correct in saying that the leadership is weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.