Was talking with Lea, a realtor who has been holding various open houses in my cooperative for the past two years, and she warned me about my not having a TV. (No, I'm not selling or buying--she's just a nice neighbor lady whom I've gotten to know.)
"How will you get your news?" she wants to know. Good question.
I get most of mine online--AJ, The Guardian, Truthout, The Nation, LA Times, and many others, and I do scan through newspapers in the public library or at the dentist when I visit there. Besides not watching TV voluntarily--can't escape CNN at the dentist (double torture!!)--I don't listen to the radio, either, but much of PBS, Bill Moyers, and Democracy Now (TV? or radio? I'm not sure) record and repeat broadcasts online--with closed captioning.
I always get the free local weekly newspapers for their local coverage--not just news, but ads and arts schedules. The DC City Paper has great local coverage, and the various Current papers--Georgetown, Downtown, Dupont Circle, et al--have other useful info that's not always available in the bigger rags.
I love magazines, too--especially the New Yorker, and Mother Jones.
Then there's Twitter, which Lea scoffs at. Twitter is one of the "social media," I think--like FaceBook, but I like it because it's like a news early warning system. I don't have to follow program hosts or organizations whose positions on the political spectrum are far removed from mine, but I can at least know what they are saying--often a day or two ahead of the other news coverage. It gives me time to Google around and learn more before the spin hits.
My friend Jim and his wife, Sandy, read the WSJ cover to cover every morning as they have their breakfast/coffee. And I'm sure they listen to the radio when they drive here and there. How about you? How and where do you get your news and information?
.
You should listen to CBC radio. Very informative, very entertaining, and very little loud raucus music.
ReplyDeletewhen we lived in ND, that's ALL we listened to. fabulous programming.
ReplyDeleteYou can listen on the internet!
Deleteto CBC??? XLN!!
DeleteAbout ready to give the NYTimes the heave ho since it's become far too aspirational and food for dinner parties snobs. I like radio, WNYC - Leonard Leopate, Radio 360, This American Life, NPR. I use Huffpo like you use Twitter (only your plans sounds so much better). Have been re-investigating the Christian Science Monitor.
ReplyDeleteCSM is good, though I've only read it online a couple of times. Has Liz Brown written anything for them lately? I like the Paris Review and Timothy McSweeney. individuals like Margaret Atwood & Joyce Carol Oates, Jeni (hilarious Canadian blogging as "Highly-Irritable"), Sarah Silverman, Joan Walsh, Atul Gawande, Paul Krugman, the Dalai Lama, and dear Pontifex!! and those wonderful democrat women Donna Brazile, Amy Goodman of Democracy Now, and and and. I also like (though she tweets in Spanish) Cristina Kirchner, the President of Argentina, and so it goes. I likes who and what I likes. I value intelligence, humor, clear thinking and communicating, a bit of warmth and folksiness....just good old girls and guys. Not much snark.
ReplyDeleteMy news sources are about the same as yours. Lately I've been concentrating on local news, because a lava eruption is taking out a town, Pahoa, on the Big Island of Hawaii. National news is starting to cover this, now that people are actually having to leave. But there is not much depth in their coverage. So I am very pleased that we have so many good local sources. I'm in Seattle now, so depend on the news from them. Our home in Hilo, Hawaii is not directly endangered, but the impact of this is island wide.
ReplyDeleteI haven't found anything on that online....though I haven't checked everywhere or everything. Goddess....you'd think there'd be SOMETHING!
DeleteThey're more concerned about the Gov of NJ and the quarantine nonsense.
Glad your place is not endangered. Oy. What a world, eh?
well, guess wot? Last night, a twitter from the Guardian talked about the eruption in Hawaii. Leave it to the brits. still have not seen anything here.
DeleteThe ABC stringer has made people angry by prancing around on the lava bed. That is very dangerous.
ReplyDeleteas you and i well know, Hattie, that is NOT NEWS. that is SHEER STUPIDITY for which many or most "news" programs are notorious. Can we stand it?? also, my good laptop crashed last night, and i'm sending this via that laptop's grandmother. It's too old to remember the google password for XE. ish. but it's me, m.e. have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI watch TV for my weather (less necessary now that I don't live in tornado country but a habit that's hard to break) and a local stuff. Rachel Maddow, Amy Goodman (podcast). Twitter is IMHO the best source for breaking news. Google News for aggregated bulk news, the blogroll of http://happening-here.blogspot.com/ for a nice assortment of thinking people's ideas. TPM. Random searches to establish where the strange rumors my Oklahoma friends post as fact are coming from. Slate Political Gabfest podcast for Emily Bazelon's take on the Supreme Court. Everywhere but FOX or CNN (FOX Lite)
ReplyDeleteNothing from you for quite a while..... are you still blogging?
ReplyDeleteWonder what you're up to in 2015? I wrote lengthy comment here a few days ago but see that somehow it didn't "take."
ReplyDelete