OK...."Santa Baby" is a perfect example of the "conditioning" to which we are subjected, especially as
girls, when we grow up. I'm borrowing from Cheryl Huber's book,
How to Get from Where You are to Where You Want to Be. I can hear my favorite bloggers going on about what we as women are expecting from life when this song, "Santa Baby" plays. Maybe not. They're pretty much used to me by now--to my odd choices of music, and my weird kind of feminism (if that's what it can be called). But I've been reading Cheryl Huber's books on the metro, and trying to accept the wisdom in them.
So here's what Huber says about "Conditioning":
The internal programming by which an individual is turned into a person who will fit into a given culture. The conditioning process is initiated (usually unconsciously) by a child's primary caregivers, and continued and supported by family members, institutions, and society at large.
Well, what that says is that from our earliest days, we are taught how to think about things, especially ourselves, by the people who take care of us from the start.
I've got that. But where does Eartha Kitt come in? Ah...
Eartha Kitt comes in for tea time.
ReplyDelete"Hark, tea tit!" being the relevant anagram ;-)
Have a nice one...
I see Eartha Kitt as a person in charge of her own life, a career woman. And liberal and egalitarian in her politics. I saw her perform at one of the many demos in D.C. in the 60;s, where she did none of that vamping at all that she is known for.
ReplyDeleteHa!!!! Nothing like the voice of experience! I wouldn't know...I was in high school! But her song kept going through my mind yesterday, and I love it that you see her as a strong woman!!
ReplyDeleteNot "weird feminism," M.E., simply your own interpretation and response to second wave precepts and third wave whatever. Works for me to return to idea at its simplest, "equality of/between men and women." Oh yes, including all the hyphenated assortments introduced in the late 20th.
ReplyDeleteHoping my brilliant response survived Google...but maybe those guys have problem with feminism as simply equality between/among women and men. Happy NewYear
ReplyDeleteNaomi....the problem with "equality of/between men and women" requires that women be SEEN, first of all. Often we are not.
ReplyDelete