Thursday, January 03, 2013

New Year's Resolution?



Or...."What more can a poor woman do."  There's the question around here.  I've never made New Year's resolutions, for the most part.

But maybe this year I shall:  I resolve to have more fun.

This doesn't seem like much, but "fun" has mostly been beyond my capacity.  Yet, having enjoyment in simple, silly things might improve my somber disposition. Not that it needs improving:  that's what I was given.

But still....It might be nice to have more fun.  It might add to the human race's overall positive state.

So....the next question is "what's fun?"  (Or, as I often say, "Wot ees thees FUN of which you speak?")

What I envision is a table with a lace tablecloth and a deck of cards and a bottle of something...ice water, perhaps, or schnapps?  And a friendly card partner waiting to shuffle and deal.  (This isn't original...Lidia Bastianich has a picture of her and her mother, perhaps, in such a setting on one of her books.)

I might as well be picturing me flying through the air....that might be fun, too.  But I'd rather be sitting down.

New Year's Resolutions are not easily made by some of us.  Me, especially.


17 comments:

  1. Linda5:26 PM

    That's a very fine resolution. What kind of cards do you like to play?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gin rummy, blackjack. I haven't played these in a long time, but I used to like them. Also bridge and whist (for more than two people). And all the kid favorites: old maid, uno.....canasta...

    Are you a card player? I suspect you are if you spent time with your grandparents at their summer home. Cards were big at our lake when it rained!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda9:36 PM

      Canasta, gin rummy, pinochle, just about anything except bridge. I still play with my mother when I visit her.

      Delete
  3. I love blackjack and poker. I also love to play chess and monopoly. But mostly I love the company... and the schnapps. :)

    What a fine resolution. "Fun" often gets a bad rap, but in essence aren't we better people, and better company, when we allow ourselves to partake of some of the joys of life?

    Spread the Joy! The world can certainly use more that.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :)




    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, you sound like a fun person! Yes, we need more joy and fun. Definitely! Enjoy the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Experience pleasure once a day, without fail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hattie: Excellent advice! Will give it a try...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:50 PM

    XE--Although I played cards with my great-grandfather (mostly) as a kid, games are not really my thing. A bottle of wine and a good friend is a combination for which I'll vote, though!

    Hattie--I don't know about you; but, I believe more in pleasure than in fun - not that I could explain the difference!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  8. CopCar: We had an extended discussion this afternoon about pleasure vs fun. That is, how are they different? The person on my left said, "fun is an activity that brings pleasure." True, but all such activities are not necessarily fun. Walking into a warm house after being out in the cold brings us pleasure, but it's not something we consider fun. Similarly, consuming a good meal or drink brings pleasure, but again, it may or may not be fun. I know the answer lies in my big, fat OED, but It's late now, and I'm too lazy to go wrestle the appropriate volumes out of the case. Google it? I found this posting: http://inspirationlocation.com/2012/07/04/the-difference-between-fun-and-pleasure/
    and the author suggests that "novelty" and "breaking of routine" makes things fun. I suppose....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh did I say monopoly? Nah, that was a mistake. I'm not into real estate acquisition. I meant scrabble. Love playing scrabble. :) Sorry to say, I never did learn how to play Gin.


    ReplyDelete
  11. I read somewhere last week that the secret to winning at monopoly was to buy the orange properties. Do you suppose that's true? I pretty much loathe board games, even though I can play them. Don't know why. I kind of like Sorry and Candyland. Ha.

    There's not much to learn before you can play Gin. Somebody said that every married couple should have one indoor game and one outdoor game that they can play together & enjoy. One of my daughters and her husband play cribbage all the time while they're waiting for something to finish cooking. For outdoor fun, they walk their big dogs in this huge park near their house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Get yourself a motorcycle; most fun you can have outside the sheets.
    I have a T-shirt which reads "You don't stop riding because you've got old, but you'll get old if you stop riding" :-)

    On a more serious note, learning something new has always been fun for me. Except for my repeated attempts to become fluent in Latin again ;-)

    I also find teaching a class to be fun, especially if the pupils are old reprobates ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stu: I've always wanted to have a motorcycle--or one of those little Vespa things, but I stopped driving about a year ago. Maybe THAT'S the reason I'm feeling fun-deprived.

    I'd love to learn something new....and I'm taking a class soon in behavioral economics (don't ask...I haven't taken the course yet). It's something that may give me "advanced hindsight."

    Teaching is great fun, but it's also a lot of very hard work. Hardest work I ever did.

    But you are absolutely right. You're always out there riding your bike and using your mind. No wonder you seem to have a very fun life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We must be on the same wave length because my resolution is "to have more fun". I think fun can be many things, but mostly it's about surprising yourself; a good laugh, pleasure in discovery, moving. I'm all for fun! And just an update...Jay and I have been keeping a cribbage tally since January, 31st 2012. I am only 4 games behind. But tonight I skunked him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fun to go to one of the Smithsonian museums, too, and just gawk around. Part of the pleasure for me is the very space and light. And the stuff in the gift shop (all the drawing materials and sketch books). Julia Cameron talks about taking yourself on an artist's date by yourself and just soaking up what you see. I find that lots of fun.

    I forget what it means to "skunk" someone in cribbage, but I think it's winning every game, right? Or pegging out before they even make the turn? Good show!!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.