Saturday, October 01, 2011

"When I Met My Muse" by William Stafford


My friend Loraine is deep into writing and reading poetry these days, and this morning she sent me this:

*When I Met My Muse *
                                                                         
I glanced at her and took my glasses
off--they were still singing. They buzzed
like a locust on the coffee table and then
ceased. Her voice belled forth, and the         
sunlight bent. I felt the ceiling arch, and
knew that nails up there took a new grip
on whatever they touched. "I am your own
way of looking at things," she said. "When
you allow me to live with you, every
glance at the world around you will be
a sort of salvation." And I took her hand.
                                   
*William Stafford*

There is not one book on or by William Stafford (1914-1993) in our public liberry!!  Maybe that's why I've never heard of him before. That means it's time to buy a nother book before the KindleMonster eats them all!

Speaking of libraries, the big news on today's library website is that the Mayor of DC has found funding to keep the central library downtown OPEN ON SUNDAYS FROM 1-5 PM!!!  That will continue the DC library's record since the early 70s of having at least one library branch open every day of the week!!!  Yaay!!  We can go downtown tmw (Sunday, Oct 2) and SHAKE HIS HAND in thanks!!

4 comments:

  1. "When I Met My Muse" immediately brought Diane Ackerman's A Hundred Names For Love to mind. Allow me to recommend it to you.

    Headed for your area in about three weeks for a Smithsonian and art museum orgy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Great library news! Sundays are always the busiest day of the week for them. Hooray for the D.C. mayor!
    The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i can't seem to type on this....i don't know what's going on, but only the very bottom parts of the letters in the first line appear. anyway, thanks, Nancy and D.N., for your comments. Always wonderful to know that people are reading this blog. have a wonderful week, both....

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.