Monday, February 28, 2011

Bring Back Bob Hope!

It's been a looooong time since I watched the Oscars (2007, in fact, when Ellen DeGeneres was host). It took what seemed like several hours of watching to even get into the spirit--which seemed largely missing. And then they played the video of Bob Hope welcoming the audience to the Academy Awards "or, as it's known in my house, Passover." You had to have been there.

I kind of liked James Franco and Anne Hathaway. They were cute together. What I didn't like was the Red Carpet stuff...gah. It was so BANAL....there, that's a good word.

For Best Picture, "The King's Speech" was the safe choice. "Black Swan" was a much more significant film, and "True Grit" was simply wonderful. (And I'm sorry they gave the supporting actress Oscar to that loudmouth instead of to the girl from "True Grit.") I'm sorry, too, I haven't seen "Toy Story 3" or the one that won so many Oscars, "Inception."

Still, it was fun by the time it was over. It usually is, despite all the nitpicking gripes about hosts and winners. After all, it IS the Oscars!!

4 comments:

  1. I watched a few edited highlights that I had recorded earlier so I could speed through the stuff which held little interest to me. I am less and less interested in the Oscars as the years roll on. The dresses the women wear are pretty . . . and everyone scrubs up so well . . . but it is WAY too self-congratulatory for my tastes. Wouldn't it be great if other industries were taken as seriously - like science, manufacturing or even medicine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked the way Anne Hathaway's attire got more and more dressy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, as I get older, I recognise fewer and fewer of the "film stars", probably because I hardly ever go to the movies. But I did see Toy Stopry 3 and The Kids are Allright.... both pirated copies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting take on the Oscars. I think banal was the correct word choice. So many faux stars. Lots of celebrities, many of whom perceive they're stars. I think animated films should compete in their own category for a Best Film award, not against human actors.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.