Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Yes, you can save $$ and eat like rich folks....

One of my favorite blogs is The Foodinista. You can't help but realize, however, when you read it that each of Foodinista's posts is NOT a download from White Trash Cooking. For example, today's recipe is baked potato chips with horseradish sour cream dip for all those legal secretaries, UCLA adjuncts, and entertainment industry execs in her area to take to the office for lunch.

No matter. I am here to tell you that these fancy food blogs I visit so often give me wonderful ideas for cooking my own grub. TF uses bagged chips for her recipe, but she's in another SES altogether. In these parts, a bag of first-class baked potato chips costs about $3.99 (doesn't everything). So....cheaper to just buy the effing potatoes yourself and do your own cooking. Not every potato has to be boiled and mashed! So this time, I'll use the idea of slicing the potatoes really thin, oiling and seasoning the slices, spreading them one layer thick on a 9x13 baking sheet, and baking them in a fairly hot oven (375? 425?) for 20 mins/half an hour or so until they get golden/brownish. And then eating them with horseradish-sour cream dip. (Easy enough: Just add bottled horseradish sauce to sour cream. Foodinista has the recipe on her blog.)

Boy, that sounds soooo good!! And mildly healthy, too. I'll have to go out and get a few more potatoes at the farmers market in Rose Park tmw afternoon--if it's nice--otherwise, I'll go to Yes! Gourmet grocery. Maybe I'll try this with SWEET potatoes, too, but I dunno. I'm not a big fan of sweet potato fries. I like sweet potatoes baked and served with a nice big knob of butter on top!!

1 comment:

  1. Reason number 67 why I won't live forever: I like just about anything with a big knob of butter on top.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.