Monday, May 26, 2008

Long Weekend = Supper with Lida



Here we are at some Greek restaurant in Rockville. Not pictured were the MOUNTAINS of food on our plates. Zowie! We should have been forewarned when the waiter delivered a monster pizza to the table next to ours. Seated around the table were grandma and grandpa, mom & dad, three young boys, and a baby girl. All except grandma, who was a very bright blonde, had curly brown hair. Anyway, they tied into the pizza, then the waiter brought them DINNER--the pizza was just an appetizer.



Lida had a huge plate of greek-style green beans (with some kind of tomato stuff), and what could have passed for lasagne, but the pasta part was macaroni. I had three bites of salad...maybe four...two bites of potato, and a chicken leg. Plus half of a nice little dish of rice pudding with cinnamon on it. Lida had flan, and we each had a glass of wine and a cup of chewy greek coffee (lots of grounds!!)



Lida was pretty tired because she had made a one-day trip up to northern PA yesterday for her cousin's son's bar mitzvah. She doesn't like sleeping in hotel beds, so she found a friend to drive her up and back. She said it was the most wonderful bar mitzvah she's ever been to. There were four generations of her family present, and the rabbi worked them all into the ceremony. Lida loved that, especially because she got to sit pretty high at the table. Anyway, she'd gotten up at 4:30 to leave at 6:30 a.m. and didn't get home until almost 11 pm.

I forget what I did yesterday aside from biking and marching around for blocks to buy a nother camera like the one I lost this past winter. This one is even better. It has 8 megapixels instead of 6, and I can take movies with it, too. Very BRIEF movies, but with sound! Who knew?

Maybe I can take a wee movie of Cathy and I butchering the Italian language next month when we visit the Amalfi coast. She wants me to bring my good summer clothes, but I reminded her that my summer wardrobe is exactly the same as my winter one, except I leave off the sweaters and roll my shirt sleeves UP. I mentioned, too, that my cargo shorts are thief-repellent....the pockets button. I don't think this is what she has in mind.



Here I am in my brand new Penn State Tennis t-shirt. Very tasteful and hardly faded at all. I bought it because my nephew Jim's son James plays tennis for Penn State, and his son Marc plays tennis for Northwestern. Or is the other way around? Northwestern does not sell tennis t-shirts, or I'd have gotten one. Is this good enough for the former stomping grounds of Virginia Woolf and Gorvy Dahl (that's how Don says it)? Hmph.

6 comments:

  1. So THAT'S what you were doing! I phoned once or twice but you were not in.

    The new camera takes lovely photos. I like the one of you and Lida always looks lovely.

    It's gonna be a lot hotter than you think in Napoli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:00 AM

    it can be wot it likes in napoli...i'll be in ravello up in the hills. that's hot, too, but not quite as bad...or so i'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:24 PM

    It HOT up here. Peggy, wish you were coming too!!!! Just for a day!!! An afternoon. I will sleep on floor. It is exquisite. A confluence of beauty in culture, land, and sea. Tiny MAW I'm sooooo excited to see you. You will love it..and you look exquisite in your photo. You will fit right in. As opposed to me!

    Peggy is right. It is HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. Every day since I've arrived has been a centimeter or so HOTTER.
    Gulp.

    Soooooo ummmmm sun tan protection...hat...comfy shoes...bathing suit...
    Wot else? Leave your $$$$. Dollars aint worth nuffin.

    Soooo excited.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Nice photos of you and Lida! Sounds like a nice lunch. We were thinking of Greek too, but the new Greek restaurant here is always packed and I've had it with noise. We'll go Mexican instead.

    Italy sounds perfect and bring slacks too- they'll be just as comfy as cargo shorts. do you have a nice hat to keep the sun out of your eyes?

    Sal

    Sal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:22 PM

    M.E., you have teeth just like my dad - this picture shows it all. Are they your mom's teeth or your dad's?
    -- The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:54 PM

    actually, they're my own, with a little help from the factory. the only two siblings in our generation with great teeth were john and bob. when they entered the army, they both had perfect teeth--no cavities. i think they got all the calcium. your dad, gene, and i all had problems with cavities, though gene maybe not so much as paul or i. paul had his teeth capped in the army. grandpa had partial plates, as i do, and mom just had gaps where her teeth had been pulled. so on days when i remember to put in my teeth, i have dad's. on days when i forget, i have mom's.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.