Gore Vidal's villa in Ravello, though not particularly big or grand, is as enchanting as he makes it sound: white stucco anchored miraculously into the sheer face of the cliff, 12 acres of vertical stone and terraced gardens, a pool that commands the same panorama as the house, an extra balcony for cocktails just along the rock face.
The villa in its setting does sound impressive, and I'm going to see it, at least from afar, this week.
Vidal lets fly with his rapier wit in the interview as he comments on writers and writing, politicians and politics. It's very funny, but one part especially caught my attention. Asked to comment on the modern gay movement, Vidal said:
"The resentments! 'I share your resentments' should be a greeting. As you enter a queer bar: 'I share your resentments, good evening, I share them. May all your resentments be mine.' My God! 'We had a wonderful day at the beach resenting consenting adults of the other sex.' "
"I share your resentments." What a perfect entree to any conversation about any movement, not just gay pride. Deaf pride? "I share your resentments toward any deaf person who a) can read, write, and speak well and b) does all three."
Hey... I get excited whenever I notice I clearly share something-anything--with someone.
ReplyDeleteI get excited if I see someone in my bathing suit from Walmart. Why? Cuz I know that means we share taste in suites and in price and she, like me, for at least one moment violated every principle known to mankind--as she, like me, went into a store that we know routinely violates its staff, its customers, and the environment in a temporary urge to purchase something and purchase it cheap.
How much more important and complex are resentments! At least resentments are conceptualized...not just unfocused--anger. And what could be a better source of anger than the capricious and irresponsible and sometimes completely reprehensible domination and sometimes exploitation by a group that, by definition, one cannot be part of. Don't resent resentments!
I especially like it if she's thinner than me. It gives me hope.
Kat
Sharing resentments is what blogging is all about!!!! I share your resentments and you share mine that are usually expressed by my alter ego -- the Cranky Old Broad.
ReplyDeleteMy resentment de jour is people of color who play the race card when caught with their panties down. The situation has nothing to do with race -- only that she's putting others in a culpable situation because she wants everything her way. I feel a rant coming on!!!!