Monday, June 16, 2008

Ravello



After landing in Naples, I got in line for customs, where I was entertained by an enterprising 3-year-old who insisted on touching everything in sight while his mother patiently called him to come back and stand by her. He was so distracting that I was almost at the customs window before I realized I was in the wrong line--the one for EU citizens only. I looked over at the other line and saw there were lots more non-EU citizens than local folks arriving in Naples.

I was the last person through customs and into the waiting room down the hall. Cathy and Ranieri (son of the hotel owner and designated driver for airport pickups) were overjoyed to see me. It's hard on the nerves to wait for a superannuated friend while she travels mostly out of network for, at that point, 24 hours. "You have to trust" I said, amid all the sighs of relief, and we took off for the hour and a half drive to Ravello.

It was fully dark by the time we got to the hotel, and I pretty much fell into bed. I took this photo the following evening through the balcony glass in the restaurant next door. There are reflections of the room mixed in with the town lights of Minori down on the coast, but this basically is what I saw when I stepped out onto the balcony upon arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.