Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The HAT!!!

Here's the hat in more of its glory....

Now, ladies and gents, I have to ask you...how many 18-year-olds (the age when Karen's and my contemporaries usually got hitched right out of high school) would  have had the stones to put this on their heads and march down the aisle?  Karen has become my new hero. 

Ha...When they were saying their vows and got to the part where they said they would "Grow old together," she just unthinkingly paused and looked out at the congregation and thought, "We already ARE"--and everyone, catching the look on her face, all laughed at the same time.

6 comments:

  1. More of a great story! Thanks for the "update"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect!!!! I probably would have burst out laughing!!!

    Wait a minute -- I burst out laughing at the thought of getting married again!!! I'd be hopeless through the whole ceremony.

    Props to Karen for practicing restraint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I haven't been bloggin' for a while, too busy renovating the old house!
    Love that hat, it's the sort of hat I would wear if I ever got married again, which I am definitely NOT planning to do, but I would if I did, if you see what i mean. In fact when YoungerSon and The Bride got married I had a wonderful hat to wear, but they told me I couldn't wear it as nobody else was wearing a hat.... I was very disappointed. Now I need to find a special event to attend where all the ladies wear hats.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a hat. I love hats but never have much of an occasion to wear them. I bought a hat, much like this one, in turquoise straw in Paris a couple of years ago; it is still in the box. My daughter’s graduation from medical residency is coming up in June – I’ll get something to go with this hat and wear it. Your post made me think of it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shammy...go for it! find or create an occasion to wear that hat. i feel sad that "they" wouldn't let you wear it cuz "nobody else" was. hmph. "they" should be embarrassed.

    vagabonde: a hat from paris!!! what fun! find a nice outfit that goes with it and liberate it from the box!! i have a scarf w/matching gloves from paris, and the scarf especially always makes me feel really SWELL--a cut above my usual bag lady couture.

    kay: yes, many women would burst out laughing (or cry their eyes out) at the thought of getting married a second/third/ff time...but this is karen's first marriage--and to a prince of a fellow, a profoundly joyful event, long-anticipated and perfectly realized.

    and btw, i hate hats. go figure. i do have a favorite salt-water/sweat-stained sailing cap, though, that embarrasses my companions when i dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love wearing hats, but would hate to don one now. I think this hat makes a statement. Kudos to Karen for waiting for the right one. Not all of us were as wise.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.